Last night I listened to 7 min talks on mental health by eight thinkers including Margaret Trudeau. (She’s the Prime Minister’s mom!)
It was a well run event by Walrus Magazine. They were serving tenderloin appetizers on toothpicks afterwards at Theater Junction. Delicious. I had about 6.
Some golden nuggets from the talks:
- Having a single friend you see during the week is as good for your health as making an extra $100,000 a year
- Weak social connections is equivalent to smoking two packets of cigarettes a day for your health
- We should develop brain retirement plans (like RRSP) to prevent dementia. As you grow older, you have a diversified portfolio of stimulating activities.
- By 2040 150 million worldwide will suffer from dementia.
- Physical activity three times a week can reduce the risk of dementia by 35%
- Cognitive bias in our health system and the adverse affects in indigenous people
- Facts: 1 in 5 Canadians experience some form of mental illness and half a million people aren’t at work due to mental illness
All in all a fun and informative night out for 25 dollars.
Get New Posts From Nish Sent Right To Your Inbox