Last night I listened to 7 min talks on mental health by eight thinkers including Margaret Trudeau. (She’s the Prime Minister’s mom!)
It was a well run event by Walrus Magazine. They were serving tenderloin appetizers on toothpicks afterwards at Theater Junction. Delicious. I had about 6.
Some golden nuggets from the talks:
- Having a single friend you see during the week is as good for your health as making an extra $100,000 a year
- Weak social connections is equivalent to smoking two packets of cigarettes a day for your health
- We should develop brain retirement plans (like RRSP) to prevent dementia. As you grow older, you have a diversified portfolio of stimulating activities.
- By 2040 150 million worldwide will suffer from dementia.
- Physical activity three times a week can reduce the risk of dementia by 35%
- Cognitive bias in our health system and the adverse affects in indigenous people
- Facts: 1 in 5 Canadians experience some form of mental illness and half a million people aren’t at work due to mental illness
All in all a fun and informative night out for 25 dollars.
Get New Posts From Nish Sent Right To Your Inbox
I’ve thought about writing a ebook and posting it on amazon.com for a long time. So the other day I decided to write down ideas. They would be quick 30 page ebooks. It would be a fun experiment to see if I could do it. Without further ado here are my ideas:
- United States in 2020 After Four Years of Trump : Lots of google searches on him at the moment. Could be a HUGE seller.
- Leonardo DiCaprio Oscar Movies : discuss other movies he should have won an Oscar. For example: The Beach.
- Why Minorities Struggle in Hollywood/Creative Fields. This was also a big topic at the Oscars.
- How to Save Kanye West. He’s back in the headlines with crazy tweets. This would discuss his recent meltdown. Maybe relate it to what media does to famous people like in the movie Amy.
- Top 20 recipes to make in a crock pot in 5 minutes: I recently bought a crock pot and it’s slowly changing my life. I still need more recipes. This would help me and help others. Win/win.
- Top Rug Designs in 2016. I work with rugs so this would be a easy peasy one. A subjective one yes, but that’s the beauty of art. I can discuss trends in modern decor and interior design for young people.
- Top Ten Music Festivals to attend in 2016. I attend a music fest once a year for past 5 years so I could write some helpful tips. Best food at a music festival, best city, best line ups, best bang for your Canadian dollar.
- Canada Needs to invade Europe. This would be about stealing golden ideas from Europe, such as 8 week paid holiday leave in Italy for all its citizens and zero home work in Finland schools, and amazing 5 course lunches in France for public school kids. Free University Education in Slovenia. Inspired by the Michael Moore movie – Where to Invade Next.
- How to Throw a Successful Reading Party in the Park. I’ve done 3 of these so I have some experience with this.
- Top 10 Hikes to do around Calgary for a Beginner. I’ve been hiking lots past year or so. Consider myself a beginner, so I’m authority on this subject.
Okay some of these ideas suck. But who cares. Writing this list was itself a mind exercise. Let’s see if I actually follow through and turn one of these ideas into an Amazon kindle book.
I’ve been a little obsessed with my vitamix machine ever since I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been making delicious smoothies twice a day with anything I can find my fridge. And I mean freaking EVERYTHING. Every conceivable vegetable/fruit combination you can imagine.
I haven’t thrown up yet. God bless America.
I decided to make one of my favourite hot beverages of all time last night. Hot chocolate. Yes this machine is even capable of making hot soups (that’s next!) and hot beverages such as hot cocoa.
Here’s a quick how-to video from last night. Fun times.
check it out:
I’m going to make a bold claim here.
You know who I think is the Number one marketer of all time? Guess. You would never guess it: Buddha .
He became so popular in India within 50 years and eventually the rest of Asia and by how ? By expressing how his philosophy works for him. He told people how something worked for him. His friends tried it and it worked for them too. Ashoka The Great of India loved his philosophy and spread the message even further. The cycle continued, etc.
Same thing I noticed with Richard Branson. His biggest following I found to be isn’t on facebook or twitter but on linked in! He’s known as this cool, adrenaline junkie businessman. You should follow him on LinkedIn and also add me on while you’re at it (click here).
He recently wrote a piece on the importance of taking notes. And it reasoned with a lot of people. Initially I was dumb founded by this. Why? Because as a billionaire he’s probably disconnected from the average worker. But the thing is people relate to him because despite his luxury lifestyle, he has habits that are relatable and plus he’s writing from his perspective, which is all he can do. Being a sorta of hippie and having long hair must help too in promoting his Virgin empire.
Other things is because of the internet, everyone (even you) is getting smarter and smarter if they’re curious enough. You can find anything you didn’t know about 2 mins before. It’s hard to be too dishonest with people nowadays like say in 1920 or even 1980’s: or even a thousand years ago during the time of Buddha. You can only say how it works for you !! That’s why people skip descriptions and go straight to reviews. They want to know if others like them found your product worthwhile.
Some random thoughts 😉
I’ve been reading a new book called Idea Machine by Claudia Altucher. The whole point of the book is write to 10 Ideas every day to make your brain sweat. Get your creative juices flowing. Once done consistently, say after 180 days, you become an Idea Machine.
Why do you want to be an idea machine? Because ideas are the currency of 21st century. Not money. Money can run out. Good ideas can buy you experiences, etc….
She does a terrific job selling the idea on why writing down ideas are important! It got me pumped and you may wanna consider this exercise too. It’s only 1 dollar on the Kindle.
BTW this book is more of a worksheet than a proper book. And I like that! And doesn’t necessarily have to be business ideas. It can be ten ideas about how to practice gratitude in the day.
I liked Day 2 of the idea worksheet. These were my ideas.
List Ten Apps That You’d Like To Use, doesn’t matter that they already exist or not, think of what would be helpful for you in particular:
App Reminder System for your friends/family to return items.
App that changes your ringtone based on the weather. Ie: Thunderstruck by ACDC when a rainy storm hits.
App that gives you flirty text suggestions you can send to girls via text.
App that gives you Indian or Paleo food cooking instructions every day.
App that tells where free parking is in any city. A sort of Airbnb for parking.
App that give you new clothing suggestions every month for men. Based on whats trendy and links to stores nearby to you.
App for food delivery to your door – one click – sent to your apartment door.
Tinder like app for doing actual fun activities. Matches you with people who play soccer, tennis, run stairs up in Crescent Heights, right here in Calgary. LOL. Why not? Coffee dates are boring.
App that gives you the Top 10 Rok’n’Rol tracks of the week suggested from Bands you already love. Ie Noel Gallagher writes them out on a daily basis on his blog!
App that gives you guitar chords after you Shazam the songs to find who it was. Godsend. What about Ukulele chords?
Over the summer I stumbled upon a wicked video series on YouTube called Shots of Awe by Jason Silva.
Jason is a guy I would call an Idea DJ. He talks SUPER fast. He mixes so many so ideas and spits them into 2-3 min videos. He has a knack for making these life affirming videos that will feel make you feel you need to do more after watching them!!
This is one of my recent favourites – How do we create serendipity?
Every day I write in my journal. I write 3 main to do’s and then little to do’s ones to accomplish those.
On top of that, I like to write random thoughts, cool quotes and something recently – business ideas. I read James Altucher’s book Choose Yourself, where he mentions you should come up with ideas every day.
For example, how would you go about earning an extra $100 in 30 days?
Extra $100 a month doesn’t have to be so hard.
- It could be as simple as cleaning some small business store’s windows.
- Mowing your neighbours lawns in the summer or shovelling there snow in the winter.
- What about writing content for blogs devoted to interior design or travel? Email one today.
- Rent our your apartment using Airbnb. It’s the sharing economy!!
- Do Book keeping for a small business if you have Quickbooks knowledge.
- Sell OLD stuff. clothes, guitars, old computers, ipads, camera’s on http://www.kijiji.ca/ or have ol fashion yard sale.
- Installing wordpress/shopify site for a client.
- Walk dogs. You also get exercise. Call all your friends who are about to go outta town.
- All the time I see small businesses that have a website, but are using gmail, yahoo, etc. for their company email address. Email them saying you could create one with their domain.
- Copywriting for a small business. Write their emails when people sign up. Maybe charge more than 100 dollars.
- Offer marketing consulting.
- Workshop on how to outsource/build iphone apps. I would charge more than 100 again.
- Workshop for 55 yr old + people :How to use an iphone/android device, send pics, get music, etc with ease. Pain Free! Email all your parents friends. Maybe just go after four people – charge them 25 bucks each include free starbucks coffee lol and hold it at Starbucks.
This was fun. Some of the later ideas actually may fetch more than 100 dollars. Perhaps even one thousand dollars. Hmm. How would you make an extra hundred or even one thousand dollars?